Friday, September 13, 2013

Reflections of a mother

I couldn't keep my mind from tumbling over these thoughts one day as I watched Katya on one of her little discovery trips through earthy things.
As adults, we collect things like purses, shoes, ties (if you are my husband) and other relatively useless things but children, when they go outside, they collect things that are real. They walk around with rocks, acorns and sticks they collect. When they pick up each of these little treasures, they examine them and have this look of curiosity, as if they must remember the idiosyncrasies and wonders of their design.
These are the things I like to connect Katya with, things in nature, because they are real. These are the things that have been here since the time of Adam to the Middle Ages, to now. They have survived every change. There is something innately calming and anchoring about them. They will always be here, and when they cease to be here, so do we.

No comments: